Surprisingly, in our very small (800 people max), rural and isolated community, (100 miles in either direction to a larger urban center) we are now getting fiber optic connections to our houses. A crew came out yesterday to put the cable into our house.
It was a complicated chore, involving digging a tench and burying the cable across our driveway and lawn, then tunneling under our sidewalk, before actually getting to our house.
I was busy playing music at our jam, as they finished doing there work, and it was dark when I came home, but this morning when I took a look at what they did, I was impressed. The cable is now buried, and the crew did a really nice job of cleaning us after themselves. They had raked and smoothed out the gravel in our driveway back into place, and sewed some grass seed on the trench that crossed our lawn. All of the work didn’t cost us anything.
I don’t know if we will be taking advantage of the fast internet that the fiber optic cable can provide, since I already have Starlink satellite internet, so don’t really need the fiber optic service. I would have preferred that the phone company would have upgraded their cell phone tower to go from G-3 to G-5. Oh well, maybe someday.
The photo below shows the fiber optic connection box on our house. The crew found a beat up statue of a dog amongst the flowers along our sidewalk and in a joke, placed it at the foot of the cable. The white object on the left is the water hose that goes to our forest fire sprayer on our roof.
View my paintings at: davidmarchant2.ca
No comments:
Post a Comment