Although you can’t really make it out in the photo, this pot of flowers is sitting on the big stump of a birch tree that once stood by our house. Years ago the tree died and I had it felled. The wide dark object with the whitish rim is a large conk (fungus) growing out of the nutrients in the old stump. The top of the stump is now covered with moss and small plants.
The other day when I was watering the flowering pot, I discovered something that made me feel really good. Among the mosses and small plants on the top of the stump, there were some bigger leaves that looks like a birch seedling that has sprouted and is growing in the mosses on top of the old birch stump.
Seeing that was very satisfying to me. I loved that big old original birch tree that grew there, and to see young birch tree growing in the same spot was uplifting, like life was regenerating itself.
There are of course, no guarantees that the seedling will be able to survive in this climate-changing world to become another large birch tree, but right now, it gives me hope.
View my paintings at: davidmarchant2.ca
No comments:
Post a Comment