Thursday 7 March 2024

Thermometer Rich / Temperature Poor


    A wise friend once told me that if you have one thermometer, you know what the temperature is, but if you have more than one, you don’t.  Lately around here, we are in the “don’t know” category, because we have many conflicting thermometers.

    We have two “Indoor/Outdoor” thermometers, shown in the photo above.  Lately, they have started to get stuck on a temperature, and ignoring what is actually happening outside.  I can usually mess around with them to get them to accurately report what the outside temperature is, but often I don’t realize that they are stuck, and assume what they are displaying is true.  The one shown on the left, with the -7°C (19°F) is stuck, and I haven’t gotten around to correcting it.  The blue one, showing -10°C (14°F) is probably close to what the true outside temperature is.  

    The other day, before going to town, I checked the temperature and it showed -7°C.  “Well, that’s not too bad,” I thought, and put on my coat and went outside.  I was a bit shocked at how much colder it felt outside. 

    In the car, on the way to town, I glanced down at the outdoor temperature on the dash board and was surprised to see that it was really -14°C (7°F), out there.  That made more sense, since it felt so cold, then I realized that our Outdoor/Indoor thermometers in the house were stuck again.

    This morning before writing this blog, I checked all of the thermometers.  Besides the two shown in the photos, the old mercury thermometer outside the kitchen window showed -5°C (22°F), while the one outside the balcony window showed -6°C (20°F).   I checked the temperature for the area on an internet weather app, and it said our temperature was -9°F (16°F), so if you were to ask me what the temperature is in McBride, I would have to tell you that your guess is as good as mine.


You can see my paintings at:  davidmarchant2.ca

   

 

No comments:

Post a Comment