Saturday 21 March 2020

A Flock of Geese (and Snow Blindness)


    Yesterday afternoon as I was taking Lexi for a walk down Horseshoe Lake Road, I was excited to hear the honking of a flock of geese. “ Wow”, I thought, “finally a sign of Spring.”  
    As I tried to manage Lexi on her leash, I grabbed for my camera to record the flock as they flew toward me.  I fumbled to get my camera out, put it to my eye, but when I looked through the viewfinder, I realized there was a problem.  All I could see was darkness.
    My eyes had adapted to the very bright glare of the sunshine on all of the snow that surrounded me, and when my eye looked through the view finder, compared to my surroundings, it just wasn’t bright enough for me to see anything.  
    By this time the flock of geese had flown over me and were heading off, but I thought, “What the hell,” and I just aimed my camera where I thought the geese might be and snapped a photo.

    As you can see from the photo above, my aim was off and I didn’t get any geese in the shot, but still I was happy to have heard and seen the early returning geese.

Take a gander at my photo-realistic paintings:  davidmarchant2.ca

No comments:

Post a Comment