Thursday 16 January 2020

Sundog


    Yesterday when we went for our walk with Lexi I was happy to notice a sundog (or sun dog) up in the sky.  It is that faint rainbow-like area just right of the peak.  It is caused by the light of the sun refracting off of ice crystals in the sky.  The reason I was happy to see it was because sundogs often are a precursor of a change in the weather, and after yesterdays -40C (-40F) temperatures, I was ready for a change.
    The weather did change: this morning our temperature was a balmy 21C ( 6F), and the trend is forecast to continue to warm.
    The sundog I saw was just to the right of the sun, but sometimes you can see two; one each side of the sun.  I don’t have a clue why they are called sundogs.

You can view my paintings at:  davidmarchant2.ca

No comments:

Post a Comment