Monday 13 January 2020

Burning Birch


    The cold snap is upon us.  This morning it was -34C (-29F).  Brrrr.  For most of this winter, which has been fairly mild, I have been burning spruce, pine, aspen, and cottonwood firewood in our wood stove.  I have been saving my birch firewood for colder temperatures, and now that they have arrived I have started burning it.  
    Birch is our best firewood for cold weather.  It burns slow, hot, and long.  It is a whole lot heavier than the other woods I burn.  The white bark is really flammable and I often use it to start up my stove along with paper and kindling, when the stove is cold.  Now that I am burning birch I usually have hot coals left over in the morning, so don’t really have to start the fire from scratch.
    The photo shows the birch pieces in my firewood carrying cradle.

View my paintings at davidmarchant2.ca

No comments:

Post a Comment