Friday 30 June 2017

What No Mowing Looks Like


    Readers know that I like flowers, so it when I mow the yard and see wild flowers coming up, I usually mow around them so they will bloom.  That is what I did to the section of our lawn that you see in the photo.  I didn’t mow it at all this season.
    First the Forget-me-nots came up, then the daisies, then the small violet flowers that I don’t remember the name of.  Unfortunately as time passes, the flowers move past their prime and start looking ratty, and other less desirable things start to take over.  In my case it was the yellow and invasive Hawkweed that I blogged about earlier.   You can see it in the distance.
    Once it gets to that point, It is time to mow all the wildflowers down.   Now I will have to wait until next year before I hopefully will see the display again.  
    I suspect that those obsessed with carpet-like lawns will find this photo disturbing, but I like to see the variation of wildflowers that naturally come up in my lawn, and I know that the bees enjoy them.

You can view my paintings at:  www.davidmarchant.ca

2 comments: