Thursday 15 February 2024

A Freaking Out Grocery Cashier


     I had an early morning drive up go PG (Prince George) yesterday for periodontist appointment.  I was tempted many times to stop along the way to take photos of the frosted trees in the fog, but it is a dangerous thing to do along the twisty, snow-edged, mountain highway, so I only stopped once to take the photo you see above.

    The most unusual thing that happened during my day in the big city, happened when I was in a grocery store, where I had stopped to pick up some things that we can’t get in McBride.

    I was standing in the checkout line, waiting for the shopper in front of me to get done.  The cashier was an animated, young, East-Asian girl.  I wasn’t paying a lot of attention as she was scanning the customers groceries, but suddenly she let out a shriek, and jumped back from the counter, all panicked and upset.

    I guess what happened was as she was scanning the customer’s groceries, she reached down to grab a box that contained a frozen lobster, and that is what caused her reaction.  She was in such a state that she refused to scan the box, and called over the neighboring cashier to scan the lobster box.  As the neighboring cashier came over to do that, the young cashier explained her action.

    It seems that once before, she reached over to grab a box containing a frozen lobster, and as she picked the box up, one of its big claws slowly emerged out of the end of the box; scaring the poor girl to death.  She said that since then, she has even had nightmares about the emerging lobster and its claws.   

    Fortunately, none of my groceries prompted the same reaction in the girl, and she slowly calmed, getting back to normal, as she scanned my ordinary foodstuffs. 


My current painting also features frosted trees and fog:  davidmarchant2.ca

    

No comments:

Post a Comment