Tuesday 13 February 2018

Long Haul


    About a week ago these really long tanks on truck trailers appeared on the pull-off just east of McBride.  I have never seen anything as lengthy as them traveling down one of BC’s treacherous two lane mountain highways.  I suspect that is why they are now parked instead of on the move.
    I walked along one of the tanks to get a sense of their length and each tank is approximately 114 ft (35m) in length, and this is without the cab to pull them. I can’t imagine coming upon one of these monsters while I driving to Prince George and trying to pass as it is crawling up one of the many steep hills.  I could see no hazardous material signs on the tanks so I assume they are empty.
    I wonder how they got this far.  There are snowy hills, curves, and mountains on both directions to us on Highway 16, the only way to get to McBride.  The trucks that hauled them have long since vanished from the scene and the snow plows are now having to plow around them.  I wonder how long they are going to sit there.
    The photo below was taken with my zoom lens and shows how they appear from Horseshoe Lake Road.   If you look closely you can see a car that helps give you a sense of the scale of the tank.


My paintings can be seen at:  davidmarchant.ca

No comments:

Post a Comment