Thursday 14 April 2016

Cattail Fluff



    Twenty minutes ago I didn’t know what I would put on my blog, so I went outside and walked around the pond to see if I could find anything that peaked my interest.  I noticed how all of the cattail heads were exploding, as the seed fluff broke loose from their confines in order to be spread by the wind.  I initially started all of the cattails that surround the pond’s shoreline by spreading cattail fluff, that I had gathered along a roadside ditch, out on the pond’s surface.
    Cattails were an extremely useful plant to Native Americans.  Among other uses they wove the stems into mats and gathered the seed fluff for stuffing pillows and mattresses, and also used it for wound dressing and diapers.


Look at my paintings:  www.davidmarchant.ca

No comments:

Post a Comment