Friday 5 January 2024

Subaru Back Hatch Problem Solved



    Suddenly, several weeks ago, we started having trouble opening the back hatch of our Outback.  When we pressed the button to open it, it would only open up about 10 inches (25cm) and stop.  If we wanted to put anything in the back of the car or get anything out, which is the only reason we would press the button in the first place, we had to lift and muscle the back hatch all the way open the rest of the way, that took a lot of manpower.   Fortunately, pressing the back hatch button to close it, continued to work.

    We lived with this problem for a couple of weeks, dreading the two and a half hour drive up to the Subaru dealer in Prince George, to fix the problem.  I was just about to do that, when I thought I should at least see if youtube had a solution.  Luckily, it did, and the video started out by saying, “This is the easiest problem to solve on the car,” and it was.

    It seems that a button labelled “Memory” on the dashboard must have been accidentally pressed, and  that Memory button set the back hatch to only open 10 inches.   For me to get the back hatch to work properly again, all I had to do was to press the Memory button.  I pressed the button, and sure enough, things were made right.

    I don’t really understand why there needed to be a button on the dashboard to limit the back hatch to only open 10 inches, but car design is sometimes a mystery to me.  Luckily, my back hatch problem has been solved thanks to youtube. 

    I can’t imagine how mad I would have been had I driven all the way up to Prince George, just to let a mechanic press a button on the dashboard.



View my paintings:  davidmarchant2.ca

No comments:

Post a Comment