Tuesday 2 January 2024

An Immediate Benefit From My New Year's Resolution


    My New Year’s Resolution for 2024 was to; everyday, try to throw away something I didn’t need or would never use.  I certainly have enough qualifying items to make it through the whole year.  Since it was the first day of 2024 yesterday, I decided to make a start.  I went out to the shop, that also serves as our “warehouse”, and started looking around for things to get rid of.

    I found an old air purifier that no longer works, two old ceiling lights, an ancient fondue set, numerous torn and decaying plastic bags, and a myriad of other items.  As I was going through a cardboard box full of a hodgepodge of miscellaneous items, I found a baggie with something inside it.  When I took a closer look, I discovered that it contained five arrowheads that had, for some forgotten reason, been separated from the others I had in the house.  (The photo shows my complete collection).

    In my youth I had developed an intense interest in Native Americans, and on rare occasions flint arrowheads could be found while walking through the plowed fields around my Indiana home.  Some of them were pretty broken or banged up by the plow, others were rather crude, but a couple were very carefully and artistically made.

    I was certainly glad I had begun my New Year’s Resolution yesterday and had come across the wayward group of arrowheads, because had I not, they may have been dumped along with the rest of the things in the box and lost forever.

    Discovering the arrowheads has given me encouragement and motivation about continuing my quest to get rid of the unused things I have been storing.  I wonder what other treasures are out there amongst the junk, that I had forgotten about.


View my paintings:  davidmarchant2.ca

    


 

No comments:

Post a Comment