Friday 27 September 2024

My Fight To Become A Conscientious Objector


      Since I had departed the Peace Corps, my occupational deferment from the SS (Selective Service) had ended, and I waited for the next shoe to drop.  Without any other deferment, I figured that my application to be a  C.O. (Conscientious Objector) would kick in.  However, the next letter I got from the Draft Board was an unpleasant surprise.  

    The SS had two different types of CO classifications.  One was the “1-A-O” given to those who were willing to serve in the military, but just not kill people.  They were non-combatants, and they were usually given jobs in the military as medics.  The other CO classification was “1-O”, it was for those who had a moral opposition to participating in any part of the military.  The 1-O recipients were required to do 2 years of service to the country as a civilians.

    In my original forms sent in when I was 16,  I had stated that I was a 1-O, non-military conscientious objector.  The letter I had received from my draft board was typical of how they worked.  They classified me as a 1-A-O objector, meaning I was to be drafted into the military.  I wasn't going to let that nonsense happen.  I fired off an appeal to the the classification board and again settled back and waited.

    The result of my appeal was that I was summoned to appear before my local Draft Board.  

    I found myself walking through a dark hallway in the old limestone courthouse building in Evansville, Indiana.  Since childhood, every time we had rounded the city’s downtown square, I had peered up at the massive ornate stone Courthouse, with its tall columns, arched windows, and slender domed roof which featured a clock, but this was the first time I had ever been inside of the old building.  

    I glanced at each office door as I passed, my lone footsteps echoing through the tunnel-like hallway.  Finally I saw the wooden door with its frosted glass window upon which was emblazoned in distinctive gold letters; Selective Service System—the office I was looking for.


View my paintings:  davidmarchant2.ca

No comments:

Post a Comment