Thursday 9 March 2023

Pink Slip Day


    In March, twenty years ago, I and more than twenty co-workers employed by the Ministry of Forests in McBride, experienced a major change in our lives.  The Forestry Office where we were employed was closed by the Provincial Government  and we all lost our jobs.  We were all told to gather in the Staff Room and although we had been informed of what was going to happen, reality really didn’t sink in until, all sitting around the table, we were handed our “Pink Slips”.

    It was a traumatic thing that was happening to us and to our tiny community, where there weren’t that many opportunities for good jobs.  Many of my co-workers had to move away to find employment.  Others, who wanted to stay in the Robson Valley, ended up having to find and take jobs with lower pay and less benefits.  I was one of three, who were able to take advantage of the lowered requirements the government offered for an early retirement.

    I was extremely lucky, I hadn’t worked at Forestry for quite enough years to get a full pension.  I had only worked there for 23 years, but I was able to add the time earned when I had been a teacher in BC, that, plus making a payment to my retirement fund, enabled me to get a full pension.  

    There was a retirement party for the three of us who were able to retire.  Instead of a “gold watch,” I was given a large “Robson Valley Forest District” sign that I had designed, that was no longer needed because the “Robson Valley Forest District” ceased to exist after our office closed.  The sign now hangs on my barn.

    I had friends, outside of work, who for years constantly talked about their wish to retire.  I was never like that, I enjoyed my job, so it was a shock when it suddenly disappeared.  Now, having experienced 20 years of retirement, I must say, I do like retirement a lot better than having to go to work every day.  

    



See my paintings at:  davidmarchant2.ca

 

No comments:

Post a Comment