Tuesday 21 March 2023

Getting Ready For Next Year


    Winter is such a dominant season in Canada that I spent yesterday, the first day of spring, preparing firewood for next winter.  It is always one of my major tasks in the spring, so that the wood can dry out over the summer, and ready to burn in the winter.

    I am always on the lookout for trees that I can use for firewood.  I spotted this dead Spruce snag in the grove of trees beside my pond.  Although dead, it hadn’t really started to rot yet and it was leaning in a good direction for falling.  It fell beside a pool which was frozen, so I thought I’d better fall it now, so I could buck up the pieces before the ice on which it fell, turned into water.

    This firewood is going to be a lot of work, because of its location.  I will have to carry the heavy chunks of wood through about 40 yards (36 meters) of bush to the path beside the pond to stack it.  Then I will need to use the wheelbarrow to wheel it to my pasture, where, once the snow all melts, I can put it in the truck to haul up to my shop.

    Once I get it there, I can split it using the electric splitter.  Once split, I can wheel the pieces of firewood down closer to the house, where it will be stacked.  Whew, I’m worn out just thinking about all of that work.

    Luckily, I still have quite a bit of birch firewood left over from last year, so I will only have to get find about two more trees to complete what I need for next winter.

See my paintings at:  davidmarchant2.ca
 

1 comment:

  1. Living a good life....is a lot of work. Scott and Helen Nearing being a good example of workers. I count you up there , high on the list. Take care , both of you.

    ReplyDelete