Tuesday 7 March 2023

Angora Goats Eating Thistles


    This old photo of one of my Angora goats eating a thistle makes me cringe every time I see it.  I was amazed the first time I saw one of my goats eating a thistle.  Canadian Thistles are a nasty piece of work.  Their spiny leaves are very painful to touch and the spines are on both the leaves and the stem.  Watching a goat pluck off part of a thistle plant, then rolling it around in its mouth, always made me wonder what kind of skin they must have on their tongue and inside their mouth.  I would have thought their mouth would have started bleeding.

    I have an intense hate for thistles.  They are extremely persistent plants which can spread not only by their seeds, but also their roots.  I have spent hours every summer whacking them down so they don’t spread, but I never saw much profit from all those labors.   I was therefore very happy to see that my goats would eat them, but they were only interested in them when the thistles reached a certain stage of growth; just when the flowers started to form.

    The goats didn’t really make much difference in the amount of thistle plants I had, but it gave me satisfaction every time I saw them eating one.


Take a look at my paintings:  davidmarchant2.ca


 

No comments:

Post a Comment