Saturday 20 August 2022

A Box of Tomatoes


    Yesterday I picked the tomatoes that were ripe in the greenhouse.  I always grow a lot of different varieties of tomatoes and when it looked at what I had gleaned, I was surprised at all of the different colors and shapes.  In the box there are “early” tomatoes, elongated paste tomatoes, dark tomatoes, beefsteak tomatoes, and pinkish tomatoes.  I have no idea of where that convoluted yellowish tomato came from, it doesn’t look like anything that I had purposely planted.

    My grandparents and uncle owned a large greenhouse grew tomatoes commercially.  As a kid I worked for them picking tomatoes in both the greenhouses and out in the field.  I am sure that is part of the reason why I grow tomatoes every year, the other reason of course, is that I love the taste of a homegrown tomato.


View my paintings at:  davidmarchant2.ca


 

1 comment:

  1. The one with all the globules that looks yellow tinged with pink or the other way around looks like what is called a "pineapple tomato" . Once you slice it you will see inside looks like the inside of a pineapple. They are really good. We used to have people practically fighting over them when we grew for "farmers market".

    ReplyDelete