Thursday 5 November 2020

Hydrology: There's Something Happening Here


    You have heard me often complain about all of the rain we have gotten through the Spring, Summer, and Fall, and how there are puddles and standing water in places where I have never seen it before in the forty years I have been here.  It has gotten to the point where even if it isn’t raining outside, I don’t want to go out and walk through the yard because of the mud under the grass.

    Months ago I re-cleared our old trail that snaked through the woods and now I have no desire to walk it because of all the mud and water that I would have to slog through.  

    The white lines in the photo above, shows the location of the trail.  Under the dashed line there is now probably 2-3 feet (60-90 meters) of water, and where you see water in the photo, it is usually just a dry depression.  There is probably at least 5 feet  (1.5 meters) of standing water.  This is not part of a stream or have surface water feeding it, the water is coming from underground sources.

    The last two years have been incredibly wet, after two years of being very dry.   It seems that our weather is flip-flopping back and forth between extremes.  I would sure appreciate getting back to what used to be our normal moderate weather.


View my paintings at:  davidmarchant2.ca


 

No comments:

Post a Comment