Thursday 16 June 2016

Artistic License


    In the Arts there is something called “Artistic License”, that just means you can change the subject however you like.  It is something I don’t normally use much, because I like reality, but in the painting above, you can see I changed the whole bottom part of the image.
    All of my paintings are based on photos I have taken.  I try to stick very close to the image in front of me, except for playing with the color in each square I paint.  When I originally finished my painting “Country Road” it looked like the photo on the left.  It showed a dirt road running down to Highway 16, which intersects the canvas across the lower part of the painting, with a country road trailing up toward the mountains from the far side of the highway.
    A lot of people were confused and didn’t recognize what Highway 16 was, my brother thought it might be a pipeline.  That bothered me since I strive for clarity in my paintings, so after thinking about it for a while, I decided to use some artistic license and repaint the lower section of the picture, getting rid of the highway completely and replacing it with an extension of the road.
    On the right you can see what the painting now looks like.  I like the simplicity that it gives the scene and the way the solid colors of the road contrasts with all of the detail in the rest of the picture.  This painting is an exception to all my others.  I continue to try to paint the image as close to the way I saw it as I can, except for the variation of colors.

You can see my other paintings at:  www.davidmarchant.ca
    

No comments:

Post a Comment