Saturday 27 April 2024

Tomato Plants on Hold



    I am feeling both frustrated and overwhelmed.  There are so many things that need to be done this time of year and I just can’t get to all of them.  One of my immediate concerns have to do with my tomato plants.  I planted the seeds in the middle of March, they grew well under the growing lights in the house, and now they really need to be planted in the greenhouse.

    The problem is that at present, my greenhouse has no roof.  

    Over the winter during some very strong winds, several panes of glass blew off the roof of my greenhouse and broke.  I no longer have any spare panes to replace the broken ones, so I decided to redesign the roof of my greenhouse, replacing some of the glass with sheets of chloroplast (plastic sheets that are constructed like cardboard) along the upper strip of the roof.  I will use glass on the bottom section.  

    I took off all of the glass on the greenhouse roof and added some new wooden boards on the existing supports to better secure the chloroplast sheets and panes of glass.  Then I waited and waited for days waiting for days that were warm enough so I could paint those added boards before I put on the roof.  I was able to paint the upper part (which will support he chloroplast), but haven’t yet been able to paint the lower part that will hold the glass.

    In the meantime, my tomato plants, still growing in the house are getting bigger and bigger.  They need to be planted in the greenhouse, but I can’t do that until I get the roof on.

    You hear all the time about how difficult it is to be a farmer, with all of the problems that arise when growing crops.  Even with my tiny attempts to grow vegetables, it can be frustrating.

    Below is my greenhouse, with its unfinished roof.



Take a look at my paintings:  davidmarchant2.ca

No comments:

Post a Comment