Tuesday 16 April 2024

Hooded Mergansers


    Hooded Mergansers are interesting looking ducks.  That’s the male with the bold white stripe across the head and the distinguished colored pattern on his body.  The female on the right, is not as brilliantly colored as her mate, but she does sport a punk haircut.  This pair of ducks return to my pond every year.      

    Hooded Mergansers are tree nesters.  Around my pond, I have a handful of nesting boxes attached to trees, about 10 feet (3 meters) off of the ground, and the female uses the boxes to hatch her brood.  Below is a photo I took of a female, just coming out of her nesting box, taking a break from sitting on the eggs in order to go get some food on the pond and get some exercise.



You can view my paintings:  davidmarchant2.ca

 

No comments:

Post a Comment