Wednesday 12 August 2020

No Stoping


    The mudslide up the road has now settled down, but there still remains some potential danger for people driving past the area.  To warn of the danger the Ministry of Highways has located this sign on Mountain View Road near Koeneman Park.  It gave me a laugh when I first read the flashing warnings:  
            “LOOSE GRAVEL.........SLIDE AREA.........NO STOPING”
     No Stoping?????
    As someone who has made his share of public spelling mistakes over the years, I had to stop (or is that stope?) and take a photo of someone else’s spelling blunder.   As I was taking the shot, a knowledgeable neighbor pulled up behind me and jokingly said something like, “I guess they are restricting mining up the road.”  
    Of course, I didn’t know what he was talking about, until he explained.  Unbeknownst to me, it seems like there is such a thing as “stoping”.  It’s the type of mining where they extract the minerals in steps or layers.  Who knew.
    I doubt that whoever programmed this sign knew anything about mining techniques, but just to play it safe I will not do any stopping or stoping up the road.

Check out my photo-realistic paintings at:  davidmarchant2.ca

No comments:

Post a Comment