Tuesday, 28 July 2026

Always Working Toward Winter


     I kept myself busy day yesterday doing various jobs.  First I loaded my pickup with big heavy rounds of willows to take to the dump.  They were all too big, heavy, or knotted, making them near impossible for me to split for fire wood.  I wanted to get rid of them out of the way so I could get to the pile of pieces that I could split.  When I got to the dump, I realized that I could have put that job off, because the large wood bin at the dump was already full, so I had to bring the load back home, to sit in the truck until the bin is empty again.

    After that, I picked another load of peas and de-podded them for freezing.  We went to the grocery and bought a nice small box of BC blueberries and froze them.  Then in the afternoon I picked another small bucketful of raspberries, also for freezing.

    As I was picking the raspberries, I suddenly realized that most of the jobs I had done, were in preparation for winter.  Of course, Canada is often associated with long, cold, winters, and for those Canadians, like us, who live in a Canadian rural setting, a lot of our summer is used preparing ourselves for those future months of winter.  Summer is our busy time, and things really slow down and give us a lot of free time, once winter is upon us.

    




View my paintings at:  davidmarchant2.ca


No comments:

Post a Comment