Ever since we moved to the Robson Valley, I have been attracted to its rapidly disappearing old cedar forests. These old cedar forest are a rare ecological habitat, known as a Inland Temperate Rain Forest. Happily one such area has been preserved and has become the Ancient Forest Provincial Park, which is located about an hours drive west of McBride. It is a special place that love to experience and I got another chance to do so when my brother and his family up here for a visit.
A sign beside one of those old cedars said that the tree was one thousand years old when Leif Erickson stumbled upon North America.
While those gigantic, moss-covered cedars are the main attraction in the park, I have also loved seeing the plants that thrive in the dark, moist ground, beneath the ancient cedars. Below are a couple of photos I took of those plants.
Immediately below is a fern tucked in between the roots of one giant trees. Below that is a Skunk Cabbage, a broad-leaved plant that grows only in the wettest and darkest areas of the Ancient Forest.
View my paintings at: davidmarchant2.ca
No comments:
Post a Comment