Saturday 16 March 2024

Sometimes I Wish Kona Would Sleep Lengthwise in the Bed


    Do you see that small sliver of empty bed space just to the left of Kona’s tail?  That is my sleeping area.  Even though it is a double bed, every night I am left with about 30 inches (76 cm) of space to sleep in.  Kona insists on sleeping sideways in the bed, and if I even bump into her while she is sleeping, she emits a low growl of irritation.  

    During most of my childhood, my bed was a sturdy old wooden army cot.  Not one of those canvas fold-up jobs, but a regular  cot-size bed with mattress, so I am used to sleeping in a narrow space, but a little more room, would be nice.  

    My sleep is further restricted in the early hours of the morning when Lucifer our cat comes in to the room, jumps onto the bed (carefully avoiding Kona) and then snuggles up tightly to my side, in the tiny space between me and the edge of the bed.  

    You might wonder why I put up with this.  My upstairs bedroom is the only place for Kona to sleep where she won’t cause trouble.  If we leave her wandering around loose anywhere on the main floor of the house, she will hear or see wild critters outside and will erupt into loud, frantic, barking, that violently wakes everyone up.  Upstairs, she can’t see or hear anything, and just sleeps.

    Despite my feeling of sometimes feeling cramped at night, I know it is good for me.  It restricts me to sleeping on my right side, and when I do that I don’t wake up with back pain.  If I sleep on my left side, I wake up with a problematic back, so l guess in the long run, it is better with Kona’s butt sticking into my back, keeping me on the edge of the bed.


View my paintings at:  davidmarchant2.ca



 

No comments:

Post a Comment