Monday 3 April 2023

On Thin Ice



    As we do multiple times every day, yesterday Kona and I were walking around the pond.  We were on the dam and Kona was nosing around in the leaves and debris that had reappeared when the snow had melted.  I waited for a while, but got tired, so I continued on the walk around the pond.  I was on the opposite side, when I saw Kona taking a shortcut to me by walking across the ice on the pond.

    The pond ice is still really thick for the most part, but at the pond edge where the sun hits, it is starting to thin.  As Kona approached the bank where I was, the ice beneath her broke and Kona fell into the cold water.  She struggled.  I was in a bit of a panic, and called out to her to “Come, Kona, come”.  She struggled to get onto the ice in front of her, but whenever she put any weight on it, it broke.  Kona could get no traction on the ice to pull herself out of the water.  I could see that her eyes were pleading to me for help and that she was not able to help herself.

    I quickly took off my winter boots and walked toward her, breaking through the ice myself.  Luckily, she was only about 6 feet away from the shore, so by wading up to my knees in the icy water, I was then able to bend toward her with my outstretched arms, grab her collar, and pull her to me, and then we both were able to get back on solid land and walk back to the house, me in my wet pants and socks.

    It was a scary event for both of us.  I was sure thankful that she hadn’t broken through in the middle of the pond, where it would have been very difficult to get to her.  

    I think Kona learned her lesson.  In a later walk, she was very hesitant to walk by that section of the path where she had fallen through the ice, which I thought was a good sign.  

 


See my paintings at:  davidmarchant2.ca

No comments:

Post a Comment