Monday 24 April 2023

Early Risers



    I don’t know what the name of these small flowers are, but every spring, immediately after the snow melts in our lawn, they come up through the brown grass and bloom.  About fifty years ago, the previous owners of our house must have planted some bulbs and they have slowly spread across an area of the lawn and are still coming up every spring.  

    The grass in the lawn has not yet awaken and is still brown after being covered all winter with the snow, so it will be a while before I have to do any mowing, but when I do, I will mow around these flowering plants, even though the blooms will be gone.  The leaves of plants with bulbs need time in the sun to produce enough energy to enrich the bulb buried in the ground, so they can come up again next year, so I don’t want to cut off the leaves with the lawn mower.



Take a look at my paintings:  davidmarchant2.ca

No comments:

Post a Comment