Tuesday 17 November 2020

Lava And Fern


    Yesterday I was rummaging through my old Hawaii slides and came upon this one that has always been one of my favorites.  I took the shot more than 50 years ago, way back in 1969, when I was on the Big Island taking Peace Corp training. 

    It shows a fern that had managed to establish itself and survive in a lava field.  Ferns are about the first plants that are able to do this on the barren hardened lava.  Once they have set themselves up, other plants slowly do the same, which then provides opportunities for insects and other life.

    One of the reasons I have always loved this photo is that it somehow gave me hope that life (at least some variety of life) would eventually re-establish itself, even in an environment that had been totally destroyed by some disaster.  Of course I also liked the colors and composition of the photograph.


You can view my photo-realistic paintings at:  davidmarchant2.ca


 

No comments:

Post a Comment