Sunday 21 January 2018

My Invention: A Pocket Extender for a Phone




    You’ve no doubt heard the saying:  “Necessity is the mother of invention.”  Well I had a necessity.  I could never find a good place to carry my phone without worrying about damaging it.  For me the most natural place to put it was in one of my pockets.  I didn’t want to put it in my pants pocket for fear it would get scratched by keys or coins, or bent when I sat down.  
    A shirt pocket seemed a logical place, but all of the pockets in my shirts were too shallow and I couldn’t button my phone in the pocket, so when I bent over, the phone would slip out.  What to do, what to do?
    I came up with this this solution.  My shirt pockets had buttons and button holes, but the pockets themselves where too shallow for me to use them.  I figured if I made something with a button and a button hole I could button it into the shirt pocket and secure my phone.
    Being lazy, and a not very talented seamstress, I sought out a solution to save myself work.  I cut off a cuff from one of my old, rarely worn, shirts.  It already had a button hole, and I did have enough talent to sew on a button.  I buttoned the cuff onto my shirt, put my phone in the pocket, bent the cuff over my phone and tucked it into the shirt pocket, then marked the spot on the cuff where the shirt button hole was.  Then I took the cuff out, sewed a button where I had marked, and had myself something that would securely hold my phone in my shirt pocket.
    My invention may not be a thing of beauty, it could be narrower, but it works fine.  Below are some photos of before and after.  



You can view my paintings at:  davidmarchant.ca

1 comment: