Monday 16 February 2015

Catching up with Modernity


    People in small African villages have cell phones.  All of Asia seem to have had them for years.  They have become a normal part of life in the industrial world where even little kids seem to have them attached to their ears.  It seemed that most of humanity have them, and as of today, even I have a cell phone.
    Yes, I have taken another step away from my luddite existence, and now I have my own cell phone.  I’m not sure what is happening to me over the past year.  First I got a log splitter so I wouldn’t have to split my firewood by hand, then I got the snowblower, so I wouldn’t have to shovel my driveway by hand, and now I have a cell phone.  Part of me quakes with embarrassment.
    My new phone is actually Joan’s old phone.  She has had mobile phones for almost a decade, but I have never really felt the need to have one.  Joan often insisted that I take her’s along with me in case of an emergency when I travel, and I have used hers on several occasions, but I was happy enough without one.
    But after she got herself a new one, we were left with the old one that still worked, sitting unused, so I got myself a very basic plan (without data) so that I could join humanity and walk around with one glued to my ear.   Actually I doubt that it will be used more than 6 times all year, but we will see.  It does give one a bit of security, god knows you can’t find a working public phone anywhere anymore.

You can see my paintings at:  www.davidmarchant.ca

No comments:

Post a Comment