Saturday 27 July 2024

1991 Diary: A Memorable Coffee Break


     Back in 1991 I was working making maps for the BC Forest Service.   The photo above shows my office.  At the time I was drawing all of the maps by hand.  This was before computers were used for creating the maps.  The computer you see was pretty much a plaything.  It was there to get us used to using a computer.  It had a program called Harvard Graphics, which was pretty useless and and a flight simulation program that one of my coworkers brought in and would play around with during their lunch period.  

    Lately I have been going through some of the diaries I had kept during that time.  I came across this event about a memorable coffee break.  At the time, maybe 15 of us would gather in the lunchroom for the coffee breaks.


    I always enjoyed the coffee breaks at work because of all of the news and stories that were told, but periodically there were snacks and desserts that coworkers brought in; usually to celebrate  someone’s birthday, but one day in April, the Cosmos aligned such a way that we experienced an unusual abundance of goodies in the coffee break room. 

         Johnny our Warehouseman, bought and brought in, a dozen cinnamon rolls.  Two program supervisors from the Prince George Region drove down and arrived at our office, bearing a box of two dozen Tim Horton doughnuts.  For some reason on that day, Dale Cinnamon a coworker, brought in a dozen chocolate chip cookies.  As if that wasn’t enough sweet snacks, Teresa, our secretary won an Easter Bunny cake from the grocery, and brought it in for our afternoon coffee break.  

        I certainly reached my daily requirement of sugar that day.  Luckily, I had ridden my bike to work, so I was able to burn-off some of the gained calories, pedaling up the Mennonite Church hill, biking home.


You can look at my paintings:  davidmarchant2.ca



No comments:

Post a Comment