Friday 9 July 2021

Summer: Heat Wave, Flood, and now Smoke



    I used to look forward to Summer, but our recent Summers are making me wonder why.   So far this summer we have had to deal with an extraordinary, brutal, and record-smashing heat wave, then the river rose to a historical level, inundating low areas and our road.  Now smoke from the hundreds of forest fires burning across BC is filling up the Robson Valley, obscuring the mountains and impacting our breathing.   Suddenly, every summer has become an ordeal, instead of something to enjoy.  

    In 2018, distant fires gave us a Summer of Smoke, which was repeated in 1019.  Last year we got torrential rains which caused flash floods, mudslides, and an horrendous invasion of mosquitoes.  I am hoping that this year’s flooding will not cause a similar mosquito explosion.  We’ve already experienced enough grief for one summer.

    I apologize for the rant, but I needed to get it off of my chest.     

    Below is a photo of the evening sun, colored by the the thick haze of smoke.

 


You can view my paintings at:  davidmarchant2.ca

1 comment:

  1. It looks like a fire!
    You have done so well this year being optimistic . You cannot do it forever. :) And with reason.

    ReplyDelete