Thursday 15 July 2021

Smoke and Mosquitoes


    Supposedly mosquitoes don’t like smoke, but that doesn’t seem to be the case around here.  Smoke from distant forest fires blanket the Valley and around our house the mosquitoes are as thick and aggressive as I can remember.  It is hell being outside.  

    Yesterday we drove up to Prince George.   Mosquitoes had gotten into the car when we got in to make the drive and we were swatting them all the way up to PG.  Once there.  It was a different world; a world free of smoke and bugs.  The skies were blue and clear and you could do normal things like walk around unhindered outside with out being bothered by mosquitoes.

    I am usually happy to get back home after a trip to PG, but yesterday that was not the case.  When we returned, we were once again submerged into the caldron of smoke and mosquitoes.

    We didn’t really know how we were going to get our purchases from the car to the house without filling the house with mosquitoes.  We lit two mosquito coils and placed them beside the carport door to discourage the beasts.  It helped some, but when I opened the back hatch of the car the mozzies flooded into the car as I attempted to unload our supplies.

    This morning when I was going to drive into McBride, I rushed from the house to the car to avoid the mosquitoes, but the mosquitoes from yesterday were still inside the car waiting for me.    Doing anything outside is horrible.  I will have to go outside and pick peas when I get done writing this.  I am already dreading it.  I will wear a coat, gloves, and netted hat, but I am already relishing the thought of coming back into the house after I finish the job.

    What a miserable summer.


You can view my paintings at:  davidmarchant2.ca


 

No comments:

Post a Comment