Sunday 2 February 2020

Bakerfield Bound by Chris and Herb


    On December 19th I blogged about “Sweetheart of the Rodeo” the album by the Byrds that opened my eyes to Country and Western Music.  The Byrds bass player was a guy named Chris Hillman.  After the Byrds he kept into the country vein and went on to help form The Flying Burrito Brothers, whose albums I also really liked.
    I sort of lost track of him during my move to Canada and living in faraway places where I lost access to music.  Now of course with the internet just about everything is open to me.  A few weeks ago I found myself wondering what Chris Hillman was up to, and started listening to some his older albums which he was on and that I had missed out on.  I came upon “Bakersfield Bound” by Chris Hillman and Herb Pederson.  The album knocked me out.
    The album itself is pretty old-1996, but to me it sounds about as fresh as it can be.  The songs are all ear worms that keep popping into my head.  The snappy electric guitar and steel guitar are wonderfully in your face and clean.  The harmonies are melodic and beautiful.  Okay, enough gushing.
    I realize this is probably not everyone’s cup of tea as far as music is concerned, but it sure hits me in the right spot.  If you liked “Sweetheart of the Rodeo” and the Flying Burrito Bros, I pretty sure you will like “Bakersfield Bound”,  if you, like me, was unaware of it all these years.

    One of my favorite songs on the album is “It’s Not Love (But It’s Not Bad)”  You can hear it below, and just listen to those country guitars:


Check out my photo-realistic paintings at:  davidmarchant2.ca

No comments:

Post a Comment