Sunday 10 March 2019

The Times They Are A'Changin'



    Today is the first day of Daylight Saving Time in most of North America.  We had to move our clocks forward an hour so it meant getting up an hour earlier.  These time changes always cause a lot of disruption and statistics show there are more automobile accidents and suicides in the week following the time change.
    I make and sell a calendar every year, and every year I feel bad around the start of Daylight Savings Time because one year I got the starting date wrong and an acquaintance who had checked the calendar ended up taking his kids to school an hour early.  Since then I am very conscientious about checking the date of Daylight Savings Time before I put it on my calendar.

    It sounds as if California, Oregon, Washington, and BC are all considering just staying on Daylight Savings Time all year round so this twice-yearly disruption no longer occurs.  I guess it will be a couple of years before this can happen because the US Congress has to give it’s permission before the states are allowed to make the year round change.

No comments:

Post a Comment