Sunday 16 December 2018

Christmas Bird Count


    Today is McBride’s Christmas Bird Count.  I have been participating in this annual event for as long as I knew there was such a thing.  Unlike many keeners, who head out to remote parts of the Robson Valley, I just stay close to home and concentrate mostly on the “regulars” that turn up daily to my bird feeders.
    Of course, since participants turn in their tallies of bird species at the end of the day, I always hope that some kind of beyond-the-common type bird will show up, but usually its just the Chickadees, Red-Breasted Nuthatch, Downy and Hairy Woodpecker that are on my tally.  Of course, also there are usually a handful of Ravens, that fly over the house.
    This morning when I was filling up the bird feeders, I did see this Northern Flicker.  While I do see them occasionally, this is the first time I saw one on Bird Count Day, so I am proud to record its appearance.  I am always hoping to see a Brown Creeper on Count Day but normally it waits until after the count is over, then it shows up.

See my paintings at:  davidmarchant.ca

No comments:

Post a Comment