Tuesday 6 November 2018

Peanut Butter is Back


    Every winter, beside the year-long Sunflower seeds, I put out suet (animal fat) and peanut butter for the birds.  These winter foods are favorites of the various woodpeckers, nuthatches, and chickadees, who need the high-fat content to help them stay warm throughout the winter. 
    I have been hesitating about putting out the peanut butter and suet, because I wanted to wait until the bears began to hibernate.  I hope the bears are snuggled up in their underground homes, because I put out the bird’s winter food today.  In the next couple of days the temperature is set to drop (-14C, 7F), so I figured the birds could use the extra fat.
    It only took the chickadees 15 minutes to discover the peanut butter log, after I put it up.  
    Today is also our first day of snow.

Visit davidmarchant.ca to see my paintings.

1 comment: