Friday 9 February 2018

Dig We Must


    Yesterday when I got up and looked outside I was surprised at just how much snow had fallen during the night.
      “It’s a good thing I have a snowblower,” I thought to myself.
    However, things didn’t turn out quite the way I had envisioned.
    After breakfast, I went out and started the snowblower and guided it into the 40cm (16 inches) of fresh snow on the driveway.  I only got a short distance when I noticed that snow had stopped coming out of the chute of the snowblower.  After a bit of investigating I realized that the belt that drove the blowing part of the snowblower had broken.
    This was terrible news, considering just how much snow was on our 85m (93 yard) driveway.  We couldn’t go anywhere until that snow was cleared, so I grabbed the snow shovel and Joan helped and we began the task.  It took me most of the day to finally clear a path all the way from the carport to the road.
    I used to shovel the drive by hand every time we got snow, but after a couple of 38cm (15 inch) on consecutive nights, I decided I was getting too old for such chores and bought the snowblower.  It was wonderful and saved me a lot of time and muscle aches, but here I was again shoveling my way up the driveway.
    The good news is that I was still able to do it, and can still walk today and the snow has stopped falling.  I now am faced with problem of getting the snowblower fixed.  I am leery of the local small engine repair person in town because I took my lawn mower in to him in late August and I am still waiting for that to be repaired. 
    I still have to do some more shoveling before I can even load my snowblower on the truck to take it anywhere for repair.
    Winter has definitely hit the Robson Valley.  We got all this snow and this morning it was -28C, -20F.


Take a look at my paintings:  davidmarchant.ca

No comments:

Post a Comment