Tuesday 21 June 2016

Predicting the Future


    I would never make it as a fortune teller.
    I was reminded of that the other day on two counts.  I had planned to mow the back yard on Sunday afternoon.  When I went outside to start the task I was a bit shocked to see that a storm was building and it was raining on the mountains.  It looked like the bad weather was eminent, so I hurried to start the lawn mower and begin.
    I was making good time going through the really tall grass that had been growing like crazy during the week of rainy weather, when “THUNK”, the mower hit a hidden stump and the mower stopped dead.  I pulled the mower away and tried to re-start it.  After a couple of failed tries I tipped the mower so I could look underneath hoping to see what the problem was.  I tried turning the blade, but each time I did, I heard a sound like something was rubbing and the blade didn’t turn very easily.  
    “Damn, I have broken the mower and will now have to get it fixed,” I told myself.
    I wheeled  it back to the carport and made a mental note to take it in to the small engine repair on Monday.   I only had a small section of lawn that hadn’t been mowed so I went up to the shop and got my weed trimmer and finished off the lawn with that.
    The next day I did take the mower to the engine repair guy.  I tipped the mower up and demonstrated the rubbing sound when I turned the blade.  
    “Oh, that’s just because you are not disengaging the turn-off bar on the handle,” Justin said.
      I then tried starting the mower and sure enough it started right up.  I tried to hide my embarrassment by complimenting Justin on what a good mechanic he was.  I loaded the mower back into the truck and drove home.
    So, on Sunday afternoon, I had predicted two things:  
  1.   A big storm was about to hit, and it never did.  
  2.   I had to get my lawn mower repaired and I didn’t have to.
    Both things worked out for the best, but they re-enforced the fact that my abilities at predicting things are somewhat less than stellar.



Take a gander at my paintings:  www.davidmarchant.ca

No comments:

Post a Comment