Saturday 11 June 2016

Cow Parsnip


    When I saw a lot of Cow Parsnips (Heracleum lanatum) growing along the Fraser River Trail just east of McBride, I gave them a wide berth.  Our friend Jim Swanson has been telling us about the terrible rashes he gets whenever he encounters the plant, so I was surprised to read that it is sometimes called, “Indian celery” or “Indian Rhubarb” and it is sometimes eaten and has a taste similar to celery with a rhubarb texture.  It is often dipped in sugar, before it is consumed.  
    It grows in moist low ground, and it has a particular smell, that I now recognize.  After hearing about Jim’s reaction, I think I will continue to keep my distance from the plant although my plant book suggests it is benign, and even a possible food.  I guess Jim just has an individual reaction, that is not universal.

Take a look at my paintings:  www.davidmarchant.ca
    

No comments:

Post a Comment