Wednesday 17 December 2014

How to Make Birds Disappear


    I like birds.  I enjoy watching them flutter around, giving action and a flash of color to our yard, and so I put out sunflower seeds, animal fat, and peanut butter to entice them to hang around, but if you are a grinch-like miserable person who hates birds and don’t want to see them, I have discovered a way to make them disappear--have a Christmas Bird Count.
    The Robson Valley is currently having its annual Christmas bird count, and it seems most of my usual birds have decided not to participate.  I did see some Black Capped Chickadees, a handful of ravens, a Downy Woodpecker, and a Red Breasted Nuthatch, but so far that‘s all.  This year I seem to be missing  some of those I usually see for the count (more species of woodpeckers, lots of Pine Siskins, and Flickers ).  I know some populations, like the Evening Grosbeak, have plummeted across North America, and I haven’t seen any of those for a couple of years.
    My list this year is pretty sad, both in variety of species and numbers of birds, and I have been putting off calling Elaine because I am embarrassed to give her my results.

Take a gander at my paintings:  www.davidmarchant.ca

No comments:

Post a Comment