Wednesday 9 April 2014

Picking the Bones Clean


    Remember the cougar-killed deer carcass that I came upon a couple of weeks ago, when I was walking the trail?  Well, every day since then, as I passed the kill site, I have been glancing over to the remnants of the deer, to see if any animals have been gleaning a meal on the left-overs.  I couldn’t really tell that it had been disturbed by any scavengers.
    Then the other day, as I approached, an eagle took off from the ground near the bones.  It really made me happy to know that the eagle had found it.  I was a bit surprised to see an eagle, because being in the woods, it was probably difficult to see from the air, through the tree cover.  I am always amazed at how quickly nature finds available food.

See my paintings:  www.davidmarchant.ca

No comments:

Post a Comment