Thursday 20 February 2014

Sweet Tooth


    From 1973 to 1977, I taught in a one-room school that was located in an isolated logging camp (had to fly in, no roads) on Takla Lake in BC.  Over the last couple of days, I have been reading through some of the diaries that I kept during those years to refresh my memories of those times.  I came across one entry that I though was pretty interesting:

Jan. 27, 1975
    “School went okay, munched on some cake at lunch, then after school, finished off the cake, walked to the cookhouse and had some of Adrian’s cream puffs, then home for a bowl of corn (popcorn?) and iced tea.  Went to school to prepare until 8:00, back to the cookhouse for some of Adrian’s cheesecake.  Then Joan and I made ourselves skate for an half an hour to counteract all of the sugar.  The camp is putting a microwave pay phone near the office--this place is getting pretty civilized!.”

    Obviously, that wasn’t a typical day, or I would now weigh 400 pounds.  The photo shows the camp skating rink and the tan building is our school.  There was no TV reception and only occasional radio reception at night.  The pay phone was a big deal, because previously we just had to rely on the mail for  all of our news and communications with the outside world.

You can view my paintings at:  www.davidmarchant.ca

No comments:

Post a Comment