Friday 21 February 2014

Red Breasted Nuthatch


    The little bird in the photo is a red breasted nuthatch.  We have a family of them living around here for as long as I can remember.  They were a daily visitor to our bird feeding stations.  They like living in conifer forests.  The one in this old photo is helping herself to some peanut butter.
    I was distressed year ago, when I realized that they had disappeared--all of them.  I wondered what had happened, and missed the little peeps they made.  I was embarrassed at our Christmas bird count, because I was always happy to report that they were here.  
    I got a happily surprise the other morning, when I saw one again.  I think it must be a newcomer, because it didn’t come to the peanut butter which was always a favorite of the others we had.  I am relieved to know that they are still around, and hope they will start to take advantage of all the sunflower seeds, suet, and peanut butter I put out.

Vitit my website to see my photo-realistic paintings:  www.davidmarchant.ca

No comments:

Post a Comment