Thursday 26 December 2013

Robson Valley Wind Monitoring System


    During the Fall and Winter the Robson Valley often has to endure strong winds, as powerful weather systems from the Pacific move across the mountains of BC.  In order to monitor and gauge the strength of these winds, I have set up a wind monitoring system in my carport.  
    If you look carefully at the above photo you might recognize a rounded wooden frame to which a row of clothes hooks are attached.  You can see an orange hard hat and some purple rain pants hanging from some of the hooks.  I also use the hooks to hang tools, like rakes and brooms on the wall.  That is were the blue snow shovels were hanging Christmas Eve when the winds began.
    Yesterday, when I walked out to the carport, I noticed the floor was covered with snow and that the brooms and snow shovels were lying down instead of hanging on the wall.  This is exactly how my wind monitoring system works-- when I find the items that were hanging on the wall, lying down on the carport floor, I knew that overnight the wind had been blowing hard.

I paint every day.  Check out my realistic paintings at:  www.davidmarchant.ca

1 comment:

  1. Your wind system reminds me of the weather rock at Sunnyside Nurseries in Calgary:
    If the rock is wet, it's raining.
    If the rock is swinging, the wind is blowing.
    If the rock casts a shadow, the sun is shining.
    If the rock is not visible, it is foggy.
    If the rock is white, it is snowing.

    ReplyDelete