Saturday 21 December 2013

Long Awaited Day Arrives


    The Winter Solstice has arrived!  Officially it means that winter has just begun, but to me it means that from now on the days will be getting longer, and that we are over the hump and sliding into Spring.  This is mainly a psychological uplift, since most of the cold weather is probably still ahead of us, but somehow knowing that each day there will be a little more sunlight, somehow gives me optimism.  
    I have always related to those primitive ancestors who recognized the Winter Solstice and celebrated  its importance.  To me it is really New Year’s Day.
    I took the photo a couple of days ago, it was nice to see the fuzzy moon up there in the pinkish morning sky.

Feel free to look at my paintings:  www.davidmarchant.ca


No comments:

Post a Comment