Thursday 6 June 2013

Pollen on the Mountainside


    A couple of weeks ago, I was sitting on the lanai, and I noticed that our table was covered with a yellowish dust.  It was pollen from the spruce, pine, and fir trees that surround us here in the valley bottom.  Even though the lanai is roofed over, the fine particles can easily be distributed everywhere by a breeze.  
    Then Monday, I happened to glance out the living room window and I noticed what I at first thought might be smoke on the mountain, until I realized that it was tree pollen being kicked up by the wind.  Because of the temperature difference, events  like pollen distribution always happen a few weeks later in upper elevations.  I wonder how noticeable it would be if I was standing under that cloud of pollen.

Visit www.davidmarchant to see my paintings.


No comments:

Post a Comment