Tuesday 4 June 2013

Have Pity on those Poor Potatoes





    Potatoes stored in a cool dark root cellar, somehow know that spring has arrived, and when it does, they do what they are suppose to do; they sprout.  If they are not put in the ground, they sprout where they are.  That is what happened to the potatoes in the containers in the photo.
    A good friend of mine, who will remain nameless, let’s just call him “Dave”, is an excellent gardener.  I am always envious of him, because he does gardening the way it is supposed to be done, and he keeps it neat and tidy.  I, on the other hand, just do the bare bones, and hope my garden will grow.  
    But for some reason, “Dave” got distracted this year, and instead of putting his garden in when he should have, he spent weeks digging up dandelions from his lawn.  I tried to tell him of the futility of such an undertaking, but he persisted.  His garden didn’t get planted.
    Meanwhile, down in the darkness of his root cellar, his potatoes had sensed the season and started growing.  Yesterday, he took us down there for a look.   It was a distressing sight.
    Those poor potatoes need to be in the ground.  “Dave” told me he was going to plant them today.  I hope so, I sure hate to see those poor potatoes put out all that energy for no result.

View my paintings at:  www.davidmarchant.ca



No comments:

Post a Comment