Monday 17 June 2013

Attack Grouse


    On our evening walk down the trail, I saw this ruffed grouse standing statue-like on a branch.  I stopped, stood still and took this photo.  Joan had stopped and stood behind me.  
    Once I put my camera back in its case, we started walking again.  At that point the grouse furiously flew at us, with a loud flutter of wings.  After the initial charge, it took off in the opposite direction on the trail, making lots of noise. 
    We figured it had some chicks hidden on the ground and was trying to divert our attention away from them.  This sort of protective behavior is sure different from the normal grouse behavior which is to stand still or to quietly try to sneak away unseen.

My paintings can be viewed at:  www.davidmarchant.ca


No comments:

Post a Comment