Saturday 22 May 2021

Calypso Orchids

    The other day, walking back through the woods after working on our waterline, we came upon a couple of clusters of Calypso orchids (Calypso bulbous) growing in the shady moss.  I have seen Calypsos in other places in the Robson Valley, but this is the first time I have seen them in our neighborhood.  I have always felt privileged to come upon them.

    In looking them up in my plant book I was surprised to learn they they were named after Calypso; goddess daughter of Atlas.  She was a beautiful nymph, hidden in the woods.  I always assumed that the name came from the dance, even though that never made much sense.

                                                    You can view my paintings at:  davidmarchant2.ca


 

No comments:

Post a Comment